Youtuber Logan Paul’s insensitive antics near Japan’s Mount Fuji have led him to become the first breakout meme of 2018, with most images underlining his blatant disregard for the deceased. As this new meme has circulated, I realized a comprehensive review of 2017’s popular memes was in order. As such, I have taken it upon myself to select some of the funniest memes from this year, in roughly chronological order. I tried to select variations of popular memes that also perpetuated GNN’s reputation as a news source of mostly clean humor and taste. Enjoy!
- “Salt Bae”
- “Roll Safe”
- “Trump’s First Order of Business”
- “White guy Blinking”
- “Expanding Brain”
- “United Airlines”
- “Mocking Spongebob”
- “Gay Babadook”
- “Dancing Hot Dog – Snapchat Filter”
- “He protec/He attac”
- “Distracted Boyfriend”
- “Rick and Morty Fans”
- “Man’s Not Hot / The Ting Goes Skraaaaa”
- There were several memorable memes of Big Shaq’s iconic song and video, but they all pale to the original material. Watch the video; you won’t regret it.
- “Pennywise in the Sewer”
- “Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.”
- “Net neutrality and Ajit Pai”
- “Elf on the Shelf”
- “Tide Pods”
As evinced in this article, 2017 was quite the year for meme culture. My personal favorite is the expanding brain, though the Rick and Morty Fans is a close second. Here’s to hoping 2018 is just as replete with dank memes!